Thursday 17 March 2016

"Skullduggery Pleasant" (Skulduggery Pleasant #1) by Derek Landy

Book Blurb (from Goodreads):
Meet Skulduggery Pleasant

Ace Detective
Snappy Dresser
Razor–tongued Wit
Crackerjack Sorcerer
and
Walking, Talking,
Fire-throwing Skeleton

—as well as ally, protector, and mentor of Stephanie Edgley, a very unusual and darkly talented twelve-year-old.

These two alone must defeat an all-consuming ancient evil.

The end of the world?

Over his dead body.


My Review 
My friend recommended this book to me when I was busy hauling a bunch of books out of the library to read over the school break. She handed this book to me and said: "The sass is strong with this one." So, I read the back and decided that was indeed interested in reading about a witty skeleton detective.
This book has everything: skeletons, vampires, sorcerers, gods and a lot of magic spells. I love all of these things, if something is fantasy, then there will be a chance that I will be interested in reading it. I'm glad I read this book though. My friend wasn't kidding, there really was a lot of wit in this book and I felt as if I personally knew the characters. The action was all very exciting and it just made me want to keep on reading to find out what would happen next. It kind of seemed at times that all of the events were really random, which kind of disrupted the story for me a bit, but then they did end up leading to the final ending of the book.
Like I said, Skullduggery, the talking skeleton, is very witty and sometimes the statements he makes are really very amusing. Especially when he is arguing with Stephanie, which is happening almost throughout the entire book. It is alright, its just that sometimes it seems kind of childish and silly; however, it is still enjoyable when Skullduggery is being stubborn. I didn't really expect it at first, but he can be very philosophical if he wants to be, which leaves the reader thinking. Stephanie is also a sweet girl,  but she gets impatient really quickly and therefore acts rather impulsively.
All in all, this was a great book with some flows which I thought could have been improved. I recommend this book t anyone who likes high fantasy and characters with plenty of comebacks. I can't wait to read the second book in the series!
I give this book 4 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment