Thursday 21 January 2016

"Antigoddess" (Goddess War #1) by Kendare Blake

Book Blurb (from Goodreads):
Old Gods never die…

Or so Athena thought. But then the feathers started sprouting beneath her skin, invading her lungs like a strange cancer, and Hermes showed up with a fever eating away his flesh. So much for living a quiet eternity in perpetual health.

Desperately seeking the cause of their slow, miserable deaths, Athena and Hermes travel the world, gathering allies and discovering enemies both new and old. Their search leads them to Cassandra—an ordinary girl who was once an extraordinary prophetess, protected and loved by a god.

These days, Cassandra doesn't involve herself in the business of gods—in fact, she doesn't even know they exist. But she could be the key in a war that is only just beginning.

Because Hera, the queen of the gods, has aligned herself with other of the ancient Olympians, who are killing off rivals in an attempt to prolong their own lives. But these anti-gods have become corrupted in their desperation to survive, horrific caricatures of their former glory. Athena will need every advantage she can get, because immortals don't just flicker out.

Every one of them dies in their own way. Some choke on feathers. Others become monsters. All of them rage against their last breath.

The Goddess War is about to begin.


My Review
I absolutely loved this book! I don't understand why I put off reading it for so long.
I might be a bit biased about Antigoddess though. After all, ever since I started reading books related to Greek mythology (or an mythology in general), I've been obsessed with this topic. (I blame you for my obsession, Rick Riordan.) So I started looking for more books related to Greek mythology, based in the YA and fantasy genre and found this book, which fits all of my criteria.
This story starts off with two dying gods, Athena and Hermes, traveling across the desert to find Demeter and gain more knowledge about why all the gods are dying in the first place. However, the other dying Olympians have allied themselves with Hera and will stop at nothing to eliminate competition and prolong their own lives for as long as possible. The only thing Athena knows for certain though, is that Cassandra is the key to everything.
Kendare Blake created an awesome tale that I enjoyed reading so much! First of, I noticed that even if you don't know your Greek mythology, you would still understand what this book is about. All the pieces of Greek mythology you do need to know for this book are mentioned either during descriptions or conversations between characters and if you do want to read up about Greek myths anyways, then all you need to know is the gist of the Trojan War. I think that you could learn some things about Greek myths in this book, even though it isn't a lot.
I'm no going to talk about the best scene in this book much because it is at the very end of the book and I don't want to spoil anything. But it is the best scene (in my opinion) because it was action-packed and the plot progressed really quickly in that one part because so many things happened at once and it was also kind of an emotional part as well.
This book was full of action, first off. From start to finish, something dramatic was always happening, so you never got bored reading it.
The characters were also really diverse and interesting. This story is told out of two different perspectives, Athena's and Cassandra's. For some reason, I always found Athena's point of view more interesting. I think, that my favourite character was Hermes because he still kind of had a light spirit despite the fact that he was dying. The other characters were also alright, like Henry and Andie were also pretty cool.
Overall, this is one of my all-time favourite books and I recommend this book to any person, that likes action and fantasy with its fair share of Greek myths. This was an amazing book, which I think Kendare Blake wrote really well, because even the descriptions weren't boring and there was constantly something happening. The ending of the book was also kind of cliff-hangerish and I can't wait to read the next book in this series. I give this book 5 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment