Saturday 5 September 2015

Northern Lights (His Dark Materials 1#) by Philip Pullman

Book Blurb (from Goodreads):
When Lyra's friend Roger disappears, she and her dæmon, Pantalaimon, determine to find him.

The ensuing quest leads them to the bleak splendour of the North, where armoured bears rule the ice and witch-queens fly through the frozen skies - and where a team of scientists is conducting experiments too horrible to be spoken about.

Lyra overcomes these strange terrors, only to find something yet more perilous waiting for her - something with consequences which may even reach beyond the Northern Lights...


My Review
I didn't realise that this book was the book that the movie the golden compass was based on until I took it off my shelf and started to read it and the plot line seemed vaguely familiar. I finally understand what the fuss was about with this book.
The plot was well developed and written in ways that I just cant describe. Nothing needed to be explained which I found weird to begin with but I adapted to it quickly. For example this book has Daemons in it which is an animal companion that every human has, when it was first introduced I was expecting a paragraph telling us what they were but there was no such thing anywhere in book. What made it so amazing is that you didn't need them, you had sentences scattered here and there so you learned without realising it. It was like that they entire way through. There were not plot holes in this book as well, everything had a satisfactory answer. The action was well written and the world building was practically flawless.
Lyra was the main character of this book along with her daemon which I will call Pan for the sake of my terrible spelling.... Lyra is a curious child that is observant of the world around her, this allows of to be a skilled liar which comes into play a lot in this book. I am honestly impressed on how she handled herself in difficult situations which I cant even imagine myself in and I am three years older then her!
All in all I give this book 5 out of 5 stars. I have never beaten up a book so much because I literally took it everywhere with me. I recommend it to everyone that loves reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment