Tuesday 21 July 2015

Maria Luisa Lang - "The Pharaoh's Cat"

Maria Luisa Lang
Hey guys! This time I have the opportunity to interview the author of "The Pharaoh's Cat". Here are Maria Luisa Lang's answers:

1) What inspired you to write "The Pharaoh's Cat"?
My love for cats and my fascination with ancient Egypt.

2) How did you come up with the characters' names? Are their personalities based off your life?
Personal associations, some too personal to mention. Elena was the name of a good friend of my mother. The Pharaoh’s name, Maat-Ba, is ancient Egyptian for Pure of Soul. The High Priest, Gato-Hamen, is the cat’s close friend, and Gato is Spanish for cat. The Vizier, Caca-Hamen, is evil and hates the cat, and caca is slang for excrement.

3) What was the hardest scene to write and why?
All of the first chapter because I had to do so much—establish not only the cat’s personality but that of the High Priest, the Vizier, and the Pharaoh, and set up the mystery of the cat’s human abilities.

4) What is your writing schedule?
I write in spurts, not on a schedule. It could be hours or minutes. I do most of my thinking at night when everything is quiet. There’s a lot of my sense of humor in the cat, and some of my personality in Elena. I use logic to ensure that each character remains true to his or her personality.

5) What are you working on now? What is your next project?

I’ve nearly finished the sequel to The Pharaoh’s Cat. It’s also set in ancient Egypt and New York City, but the cat also goes to Bath and Stonehenge in England as well. My working title is Lady of Mystery.
 
Don't forget to check out my review for "The Pharaoh's Cat" here.

No comments:

Post a Comment