Thursday 26 February 2015

We Were Liars by E.Lockhart

Book Blurb (From Goodreads)
A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.









My review: 
Well it looks like even though this was a re-read it did not make reading the ending any easier. To be honest I was sobbing, in public. Again. *Sigh* I will keep this review as spoiler free as humanly possible since you really need to go into this book without know anything and almost any information about it could be considered a spoiler. I think that the back should be enough of a summery of the book is enough information for what this book is about. 
The plot of this book, is slow. But not the usually borrowing slow. Slow as in the way of showing how people react to certain things and emotions. Slow to show how Cadence, our main character, process everything that she learns at any point in this book and turns it over looking for what it could possibly mean. It plays with the punishments of stupid and rash decisions.  
Cadence, was intelligent and strong. But also weak, stupid and fragile. To be honest she was just a person. She was relatable and her thoughts were dark and light at the same time. Her view on the world was just so different to anything that I have ever seen before. Gat was different an outsider but also open minded. This allowed him to view the world through larger eyes and absorb information like a sponge. He loved literature and Cadence. Johnny was funny had good humor and never took anything seriously. He was the light of this story, when everything was turning dark you could count on him to lighten up the mood, or at least try to. Mirrin was my favourite. She was snarky and always said what she thought. She argued a lot with everyone, but then felt guilt for it. 
This is probably one of the most beautifully written books again and I can read it over and over again and still spot things that I had never noticed before. 
I give this book 5 out of 5 stars. 

1 comment:

  1. This book... *phew* it took a lot out of me! I'm dying to re-read so I can pick up on the details I missed the first time

    Most recent post on Enchanted by YA: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/review-trial-by-fire-worldwalker.html

    ReplyDelete