Tuesday 3 February 2015

Catherine Fisher - "The Oracle"

Catherine Fisher
Hi! We managed to interview Catherine Fisher this time, author of "The Oracle"! Here are her answers:

1) What inspired you to write "The Oracle"?
The inspiration behind the Oracle was that I had been reading a lot of Greek history and literature and I had visited Greek temples. So I decided to write a book that would be set in a hot desert place, and also to use Egyptian themes and motifs. it was really interesting to enter that world.

2) Are the characters based on your life and how did you come up with their names?
The characters are definitely not people from my life! The names are a mixture- Mirany should really be spelled Myrrhene, and Chryse is greek for golden. Others like Seth and Kreon are real names and some like Argelin  and Oblek I made up.

3) What books have influenced your life most?
The books that influenced me were things like The Lord of the Rings and the fantasy fiction of the 1970s in Britain- people like Alan Garner and William Mayne. Also older stuff like Alice in Wonderland and Treasure Island. Reading these books made me want to become a writer.

4) What would your reaction be if you woke up one morning and found out that you were the Archon?
If I found I was the Archon I would be pretty worried! But I would try to make my world better.

5) What are you working on now? What is your next project?
The project I am working on now is a four book set called The Chronoptika Quartet. It mixes time travel and strange faery creatures. The first two books are called The Obsidian Mirror and The Box of Red Brocade (in the US The Slanted Worlds). The 3rd book comes out tomorrow in the UK and is called The Door in the Moon. I hope you will try it!

Don't forget to read her book "The Oracle"! We have a review on it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment